Wednesday, December 22, 2010

cookies with baabee


every year at christmas time my dad makes my great grandmother's shortbread cookies.  i always sneak us into his plans for making them.  he will make remarks that we could make them ourselves, but i really want my kids to have the memories of making these specific cookies with baabee.  hopefully he didn't mind that we showed up bright and early and squeezed our four extra bodies into his tiny little kitchen.  at least we brought coffee...

(don't you love finn's apron that erin made him?)


finn was very precise with how he shaped each and every cookie...

(baabee smooshed a ball of dough in lucy's face after asking her to look real closely at it.  funny stuff.  and yes, you might have eaten a cookie that was previously shoved against lucy's nose...).


in preparation for my dad's annual christmas eve eve party (yes, 2 eves), he stuck this giant santa on his wall and let people sign the wall with permanent marker.  i loved watching my kids write on baabee's wall since this was the kind of thing my dad always did with us when we were younger.  one time he painted his entire hall blue, with waves at the top and an ocean floor at the bottom.  we got to draw and paint fish all over the rest.  we were young and hardly good artists (obviously), but he let us do whatever we wanted and left it that way for years.  and this was his front hall, right where people came walking in his door.  sometimes i wish i could let go and be a little more carefree like my dad...  oh, well.  at least my kids get to have this kind of fun with baabee.  and lucy's little message just makes me smile...

No comments: