Wednesday, November 17, 2010

when you were mine

when i was maybe in 1st or 2nd grade my dad took us to a music store in park central.  the walls were lined with those funky shelves you could stick cassette tapes into (remember those huge plastic security cases they would be in so sometimes you couldn't even read what songs were on an album?).  anyway, he bought me cyndi lauper's she's so unusual.  i think i listened to that tape over a thousand times.  i can remember laying on the floor in my sister erin's room listening to side A until it was over and i would flip it over and listen to side B and then back again to side A.  it makes me laugh to think of jack having any interest whatsoever to listen to music like that.  i guess i had the older sister influence.  erin had a whole drawer full of cassettes.  our favorites were the ones she wasn't actually allowed to have like who's that girl and the dirty dancing soundtrack (note: i did not see dirty dancing as a kid, we simply enjoyed music).  basically anything erin did was super cool in my book, so finally owning my own tape was just about the best thing ever.  i remember just staring at the one tiny picture on the front and treasuring it like my number one prized possession.  my rambling is leading somewhere...
danny just made me a cd of the band crooked fingers.  (i depend on my little brother for all new music suggestions).  a couple months ago he played me a song by them and to my sweet surprise it was a cover of the song when you were mine by cyndi lauper from the aforementioned album (yes, i know it is originally by prince, but that doesn't go with my story and, yes, i am sure crooked fingers would be insulted that i consider it a cyndi lauper cover...  oh, well).  since now having the song in my possession i have become unhealthily obsessed with it.  so, for your listening pleasure....


i also thoroughly enjoyed this little note as i do love to play the same song over and over and over again, as i obviously have been lately.

1 comment:

Taylor K said...

My first tape was Tiffany. She was so rad. I loved her bangs and used to stay in my room listening to 'I think we're alone now' for hours. Sigh.