Friday, July 30, 2010

Vacation Journal - New York: MoMA edition



my kids have this book called "seen art?" by lane smith (who is fantastic, by the way) that my sister erin gave them a few years back and it is one of their absolute favorites.  it is all about the museum of modern art in a hilarious and perfect way and features tons of actual art from the museum.  for this reason, lucy was extremely excited to actually visit MoMA.




the book starts...
It all started when I told my friend Art I would meet him on the corner of Fifth and Fifty-third.
I didn't see him.  So I asked a lady walking up the avenue, "Have you seen Art?"
"MoMA?" asked the lady.
"Uh... no, he's just a friend."
"Just down Fifty-third Street here.  In that beautiful new building.  You can't miss it."
She was right.  It was a brand-new building.  I couldn't miss it.


so, lucy was very excited to stand on the corner of 5th and 53rd and look down the street to see the beautiful new building that you couldn't miss.


we actually spent the entire first hour there in the sculpture garden.  they have a garden cart that sells ice cream, coffee, wine and beer - basically anything you could hope for while sitting in a beautiful sculpture garden.  so, lucy had some ice cream and i got myself an iced coffee and we sat outside enjoying the perfect breeze and the amazing contrast of this little garden, with its trees and fountain, to the skyscrapers over head.  we talked, we enjoyed our treats, we made plans for the rest of the day, we looked through our MoMA book that my dad had helped me make (basically flash cards of all the familiar paintings from "seen art" to use as a sort of scavenger hunt for lucy through the museum), we looked at every single page of the american girl magazine, lucy played around under trees, over bridges and admired sculptures...  it was lovely.



in the garden, there was a wish tree by yoko ono where you could fill out a wish on a tag and then tie it to the tree.  people were writing down thoughtful, beautiful things.  lucy's read "i wish i had kit's backpack" (one of the items she had deliberated over at the american girl place and decided against).  maybe she missed the point...  however, the 8 year-old boy next to her wrote down, "i wish i had a ray blaster gun" so i figured i would let her write down whatever she wanted, because, hey, that was her wish...


we finally ventured into the museum and it was wonderful.  that's really all i can say...


gold marilyn monroe by andy warhol was probably lucy's favorite.  she just stared at it for what seemed like a very long time and then asked, "do people really wear blue make-up on their eyes."  


i promise she is not touching this painting...


she just had to get really close to count how many crayons were in the box.  


the museum has these fabulous hand-outs for kids that take them to several paintings and ask them questions about each and how it compared to the last painting, etc. and then gives them a little drawing assignment in the style of each piece they are looking at.  lucy was very into it and had to plop down on the floor and finish each one then and there...


and to end it all, a revolving door.  perfect.
if i were ever to live in new york city, this is definitely a place i would invest in the membership.
if you are going to new york, put MoMA on your list (becca).

5 comments:

emily said...

your photos are simply unbelievable! it doesn't hurt to have such a wonderful model, either. but seriously, the photos are better than the actual art. amazing.

Lucia said...

yeah, that pic of lucy at the microphone is a keeper. love it.and i am kicking myself a lot for not going to moma when we were there. i guess we were talaking a culture vacation,or a vacation from culture, more likely..

diane said...

that book sounds fantastic! It's so fun that the two of you got to share such a special trip together.

becca said...

first, let me just thank you for planning my ny trip for me!! you really are a great friend. every time you add more posts, i add to my 'itinerary'. so yes, i just broke my ‘no museums on this trip’ rule and put down the MoMA. keep em coming!

Rachel Elizabeth said...

I wish I would have gotten a chance to see the MOMA when I was in New York back in May. I guess I'll just have to go back.