Monday, August 31, 2009

my birthday...

well, yesterday was my birthday. today i am 29. one year shy of thirty. crazy stuff. i think it would be fun to write one of these lists (i do love lists) of the 29 things i want to do before i turn 30... we will see if that ever happens, but it could be fun. i am not someone to freak out about another birthday, and i am not trying to comment on being or feeling "old". it is just kind of crazy to me how fleeting time really is. jack starts 1st grade tomorrow. that is even crazier than my birthday, but all about the same thing. time goes by too fast. thus, i think a list could be fun. a list to really keep you focused on enjoying every minute. we'll see...

anyway, i did have a wonderful and spoiling day. my sister erin showed up at 7:30 with my favorite iced coffee (all i really ever want for my birthday...). then we went out to breakfast at the original pancake house with my whole family. later my sisters and i took lucy to run an errand to michael's and then ate lunch at deluxe (after which i thought i might explode... eating out two meals in a row is intense...). hung out the rest of the afternoon. pudge stopped by with this book that maisie had remembered i had wanted. too thoughtful. finally, christine hosted the most lovely and intimate of dinner parties. too kind, too fun. it was a wonderful birthday.

as a side note, lucy had been asking all day if she could make a pie. she wanted to make it all by herself with absolutely no help. i should have gone to the store and bought a ready made pie crust, but as time was limited i just gave her some fruit to cut up and a pie pan. she cut up all the fruit and spread it in the pan, then spread whipped cream all over the top. she was quite pleased with herself, i must say...
and here is a sample of lulu's crustless fruit pie. i think these are really going to take off in the culinary world...

scenes from a simply lovely dinner party...

dessert was the most heavenly panna cotta with the most to-die-for presentation. come on, how cute is that little jar? and the homemade cookies? once again, christine outdid herself. she even danced for me with her second bump while singing happy birthday. talk about an amazing hostess... and that's me devouring my delicious dessert...
so, i now get to look forward to ten months of pete remarking on what an old lady i am and how very young he is... he tells me its just going to get worse every year. oh, well. i was just looking at that picture of myself and as far as i can tell i look just like i did for the entire 28th year of my life, but that doesn't stop pete for an excuse to tease...

7 comments:

The Bird Family said...

sounds like your birthday way heavenly! wish i'd been there! love you!!

John said...

Happy birthday, Emily!

Your blogging is wizard awesome, by the way. especially the pictures.

oh and it was good to see pete this weekend, i guess.

GC said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Emily! You really know how to celebrate your special day!

Alissa said...

Happy Birthday- what a beautiful day. Thank you for sharing it!

Cory said...

aww, happy birthday, em! love it that you guys went to the pancake house, the one next to motel 6, right? one of my all-time favorite spots!

mary said...

Sounds like a great day! And I have to second what Jon said...your blog is amazing!! So funny about Pete teasing you about being older than him. When I turned 30, Patrick reminded me the night before my birthday that he would still be in his twenties the next day and I would be in my thirties!!

Lucia said...

we had a marvelous, but too brief time with your pete this weekend. happy belated birthday -- i do hope pete didn't forget my gift for you on the table at the gingerman... it seemed a real possiblity. love you!